[R-pkg-devel] Note: significantly better compression could be obtained ...

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Thu Mar 4 01:41:33 CET 2021

... by using R CMD build --resave-data

But I *did* use that flag with my build command!!!  And yet "R CMD
check" seems to think that I didn't!

I have done "R CMD build --resave-data kanova"  (where "kanova" is
the name of the package in question), to make sure that I didn't
fumble-finger somewhere, but there's no change.  I always get that
NOTE.

How on earth can I track down what's going wrong?

There is only one file "stomata.rda" in kanova/data.  The
file was created using:

    save(stomata,file="stomata.rda",version=2)

The file stomata.rda is a *bit* on the large size; 285607 bytes
according to "ls -l", 279Kb according to the NOTE from R CMD check.
But that's not all that big, is it?  And anyway I *did* ask
R CMD build to re-save it!

When I load stomata.rda, object.size() says that stomata uses 1611312 bytes
of memory.

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04.2 and R version 4.0.4.

Has anyone else ever been confronted with this bizarre phenomenon?

Thanks for any tips.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--