[R-pkg-devel] URL in RMarkdown file (libcurl error code 35)

Vincent van Hees v|ncentv@nhee@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Feb 17 16:32:33 CET 2021

Hello,
My R package submission got rejected today because of the URL libcurl error
code 35 issue below (see heading Attempt 1). It seems I have a subscription
to these errors, because I have been getting them a lot through the years.
Next, I edited the URL and submitted the package to R-devel on
win-builder.r-project.org, but there it got flagged again. I am struggling
to resolve this. Please find below an overview of all my attempts so far..
Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks, Vincent

Attempt 1: Warning after CRAN submission

Flavor: r-devel-windows-ix86+x86_64 Check: CRAN incoming feasibility,
Result: NOTE Maintainer: 'Vincent T van Hees <v.vanhees using accelting.com>'
Found the following (possibly) invalid URLs: URL:
https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/jmpb/2/3/article-p188.xml
From: inst/doc/GGIR.html Status: Error Message: libcurl error code 35:
schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: SEC_E_ILLEGAL_MESSAGE
(0x80090326) - This error usually occurs when a fatal SSL/TLS alert is
received (e.g. handshake failed).

Attemp 2: This is what I submitted to win-builder R-devel. In comparison to
the CRAN submission this has the doi URL instead of the full journal URL.:

Found the following (possibly) invalid URLs: URL:
https://doi.org/10.1123/jmpb.2018-0063 From: inst/doc/GGIR.html Status:
Error Message: libcurl error code 35: schannel: next
InitializeSecurityContext failed: SEC_E_ILLEGAL_MESSAGE (0x80090326) - This
error usually occurs when a fatal SSL/TLS alert is received (e.g. handshake
failed).

Attempt 3:
Putting a URLencode() statement around the URL was suggested somewhere, e.g.
[link](URLencode("https://doi.org/10.1123/jmpb.2018-0063")),  but this
breaks the URL on my local machine.

Attempt 4: Curl test (in Ubuntu with curl version 7.68) for the journal url
to see whether this provides any insight:

vincent using vincent:~$ curl -Is
https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/jmpb/2/3/article-p188.xml
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
set-cookie: JSESSIONID=AF4859DD2D01CF4E1C16EE530712A13F; Path=/; Secure;
HttpOnly
content-type: text/html;charset=UTF-8
transfer-encoding: chunked
date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 15:14:04 GMT
content-security-policy: frame-ancestors 'self'
set-cookie: ServerID=hk-web-live-bot24; path=/