[R-pkg-devel] How to build *-package description from *-package.R files ... and a luser/newbie question about pkgdown

Merlise Clyde, Ph.D. c|yde @end|ng |rom duke@edu
Fri Feb 12 17:34:21 CET 2021

Chris,

I have migrated from Travis CI to using GitHub actions with pkgdown to build websites for packages - see https://ropenscilabs.github.io/actions_sandbox/websites-using-pkgdown-bookdown-and-blogdown.html   to set up.  The GitHub action doesn’t use Rstudio’s check but does automatically update the documentation when the master branch is pushed to GitHub.

An example is at https://merliseclyde.github.io/BAS/index.html. (package is at  https://github.com/merliseclyde/BAS  ).  One that is a work in progress is https://merliseclyde.github.io/bark - which was built from the start using the approach documented above  - there is less customization there.

I do use pkgdown::build_site() in RStudio to preview the package documentation locally as well.

For documentation I did migrate to using roxygen2 several years ago from writing my own Rd files.   I like the checks that it keeps the documentation in sync with changes in the function.   The R Packages book by Hadley Wickham and Jennifer Bryan has a nice chapter on this https://r-pkgs.org/man.html

HTH,
Merlise