[R-pkg-devel] Advice on R-forge to Github migration

Sun Jan 31 19:10:20 CET 2021

rgl has been on R-forge for a long time, but I am now planning on
migrating it to Github.  I really dislike git, but Github offers enough
benefits, and nowadays I'm familiar enough with them, that I think I'd
be better off there.

The easiest way to do this would be to do almost nothing:  just declare
the the dmurdoch/rgl fork of r-forge/rgl is now where all new changes
will be committed.

Can anyone else who has done this migration tell me if there there any
disadvantages to this that I don't know about?  What I know:

  - I'll lose the bug reports and forum discussions that were sent to
R-forge.
  - I'll need to do a bit of work to change dmurdoch/rgl to a more
standard R package layout, but this should be quite easy:  basically
just moving the files in pkg/rgl to the top level.  I assume "git mv"
will keep their history if I do this.