[R-pkg-devel] Testing on old R versions

Hadley Wickham h@w|ckh@m @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Jan 31 16:57:05 CET 2021

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 4:32 AM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying out a modified version of the tidyverse actions, and it does
> seem to be going well.  Just one question:
>
> rgl has a soft dependency on alphashape3d, and alphashape3d has a hard
> dependency on rgl.  This means that I need to install in the order
>
>    rgl hard dependencies
>    rgl
>    rgl soft dependencies
>
> Currently I'm using this code to do that:
>
>    # First install rgl with minimal deps then the rest
>    devtools::install()
>    remotes::install_deps(dependencies = TRUE)
>
> but devtools seems unnecessarily heavy for this.  Does remotes have a
> way to specify the install in the right order?

I forget all the details here but instead of `devtools::install()`,
I'm pretty sure you can just use `remotes::install_local()`.

We also have an experimental workflow that uses pak
(https://github.com/r-lib/actions/blob/master/examples/check-pak.yaml);
and pak should know enough about the full dependency graph to install
all dependencies in the correct order without additional work. This
workflow (and pak) itself, is still a bit experimental but we've
started to move the tidyverse workflows to use pak, and haven't had
many problems recently.

Hadley

--
http://hadley.nz