[R-pkg-devel] Using a package only at install time?

Fri Jan 29 23:16:15 CET 2021

I am trying to modify the mathjaxr package so that the tarball includes
full source code to Mathjax, but only a minified version gets installed.
  This will save space on the user's system, and should make it run a
tiny bit faster.

To do this, I am trying using js::uglify_files in a src/install.libs.R
file, and that's the only place the js package is needed.  I want a way
to say that js *must* be present to install mathjaxr, but doesn't need
to be loaded when mathjaxr is loaded.

Adding

   LinkingTo: js

to the DESCRIPTION file seems like it would do this, but checking says:

NOTE
'LinkingTo' for ‘js’ is unused as it has no 'include' directory

Is that an ignorable NOTE?   If not, is there another strategy for
minifying Javascript files at install time?