[R-pkg-devel] Testing on old R versions

Thu Jan 28 23:29:12 CET 2021

On 28 January 2021 at 16:50, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| Thanks Dirk, Neal and Nathan.  I ended up going with Dirk's suggestion.
|
| So far I haven't got it to work in 3.2.0; I probably won't put much
| effort into supporting that old version.  But it's fine in 3.4.0 and
| 3.5.0, and I'm trying 3.3.0 now.  Rocker rocks!

Thanks, I would have to agree here :)

| P.S. rgl now installs in the basic r-base container, without adding
| additional libs.  This is due to some config checks that let it run on a
| barebones machine:  it can still produce WebGL output for a browser, it
| just can't show it on screen.

Most excellent, didn't know that part.  Ping we off-list if you're interested
in automating this, I also use these containers (or sometimes extensions with
additional build-dependencies) to test builds in CI settings. Setting that
can be pretty straightforward and self-contained.  It's easiest to instrument
when you don't even need other build dependencies.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org