[R-pkg-devel] problem with donttest example

Uwe Ligges ||gge@ @end|ng |rom @t@t|@t|k@tu-dortmund@de
Tue Jan 26 13:53:50 CET 2021

On 26.01.2021 12:20, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 26/01/2021 5:05 a.m., Olivier Martin (BioSP) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> R CMD check --as-cran now runs \donttest examples .
>>

>> So what is the right way to avoid it, and what is the right way for
>> submission to CRAN.
>
> Why are you listing the examples as \donttest?  If it's because they
> will fail on CRAN, wouldn't they fail on a user's system?  Then you
> should fix the examples so they don't fail.
>
> If you marked them that way because they violate some CRAN policy (e.g.
> writing to a user's home directory), then you should fix them.  Those
> policies are there to protect users.
>
> If you marked them that way because they take too long to run, then it
> seems like CRAN shouldn't complain about the run time.  I don't know if
> they do or not.

They do not, CRAN does not run --run-donttest examples regularly, only
occassionally to see if these work, too. We do not complain about
--run-donttest runtime unless it takes hours and it is unclear whoi is
supposed to ever look at the examples then.

Best,
Uwe Ligges