[R-pkg-devel] CRAN check texi2dvi failure

Georgi Boshnakov georg|@bo@hn@kov @end|ng |rom m@nche@ter@@c@uk
Sun Jan 10 13:04:29 CET 2021

The problem is not in the Warning from the example but from the \verb commands in the references.
You use space to delimit the argument of \verb and I was surprised that it worked since TeX ignores spaces after commands.
Apparently, this has been an exception for \verb but now this feature is considered a bug and hs been recently fixed, see the atacjexchange question below and the relevant paragraph from LaTeX News. Probably the linux machines have updated their TeX installations.

In short, changing the space tp  say  +  delimiter for \verb command should fix the issue.

Georgi Boshnakov

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/566085/how-does-verb-detect-spaces-that-shouldnt-exist

Avoid problematic spaces after \verb
If a user typed \verb␣!~!␣foo instead of \verb!~!␣foo
by mistake, then surprisingly the result was “!~!foo”
without any warning or error. What happened was that
the ␣ became the argument delimiter due to the rather
complex processing done by \verb to render verbatim.
This has been fixed and spaces directly following the
command \verb or \verb* are now ignored as elsewhere.
(github issue 327)