[R-pkg-devel] CRAN check texi2dvi failure

Enrico Schumann e@ @end|ng |rom enr|co@chum@nn@net
Sat Jan 9 23:52:00 CET 2021

On Sat, 09 Jan 2021, Paul Gilbert writes:

> I am trying to debug a problem that is appearing in the
> linux and Solaris checks, but not Windows or Mac
> checks, of my package tsfa as reported at
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_tsfa.html
>
> The problem is with re-building the vignette
>   this is package 'tsfa' version '2014.10-1'
>  checking re-building of vignette outputs ... [6s/9s] WARNING
>  Error(s) in re-building vignettes:
>     Running 'texi2dvi' on 'Guide.tex' failed.
>     LaTeX errors:
>     ! LaTeX Error: \verb ended by end of line.
>
> In responding to the threat of removal I have also
> fixes some long standing warnings about adding imports
> to the NAMESPACE. The new version builds with --as-cran
> giving no errors or warnings with both R-devel on
> win-builder (2021-01-07 r79806) and on my linux machine
> (R 2021-01-08 r79812 on Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia). When I
> submit it to CRAN the Windows build is OK but the same
> error happens at the 'texi2dvi' step in the debian
> vignette re-build.
>
> This seems to happens after an example that correctly
> has a warning message (about Heywood cases). In my
> linux build the the warning happens but the message
> does not appear in the pdf output, so one possibility
> is that the handling of the warning on the CRAN Unix
> check machines fails to produce clean tex or suppress
> output. Another possibility is that my build using
> --as-cran is different from the actual CRAN build
> options. For example, my 00check.log shows
> * checking package vignettes in ‘inst/doc’ ... OK
> * checking re-building of vignette outputs ... OK
> * checking PDF version of manual ... OK
> * checking for non-standard things in the check directory ... OK
>
> so I am not sure if it uses texi2dvi. (I haven't used
> dvi myself for a long time.)
>
> I'm not sure how to debug this when I can't reproduce
> the error. Suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Paul Gilbert

When I run R CMD check on my Linux machine [*], I also
do not get an error.  But here is a guess: The error
mentions \verb, and the LaTeX manual says that \verb
should be followed by nonspace character.  But in the
vignette it is followed by a space.  Maybe using \url
in the vignette could fix the error?

kind regards
    Enrico

[*] R version 4.0.3 (2020-10-10)