[R-pkg-devel] Used package not updated - needs java < V 11

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Thu Dec 17 19:50:08 CET 2020

On 2020-12-17 12:22, Knut Krueger wrote:

>>        Also, I received an email from CRAN maintainers months ago
>> saying that "gdata" was being obsoleted.  It's still on CRAN with a
>> date of 2017-06-06 and a huge number of reverse dependencies.  The
>> CRAN maintainers may have gotten someone to agree to take it over who
>> just hasn't finished fixing whatever deficiencies it has.  However,
>> you might see how difficult it might be to do without "gdata" as well.
>>

>>        Spencer Graves
>>

>     Is it permissible to copy the code from rename.vars (gdata) inside
> my package with an hint:
>
> "  Function rename.vars Source code from gdata as gdata is unmaintained
> since 2017-06-06 Rename variables in a dataframe
> Author(s)
> Don MacQueen (package gdata), macq\@llnl.gov."
>
> it is the only function I am using from gdata.

	  That's definitely consistent with the GPL-2 license it carries as
long as you aren't trying to charge royalties for use of your package.
See:

https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=gdata

	  And the tarball is available at this link to make it easy for you to
do that.

	  Regarding my earlier comment about to gdata being potentially
obsoleted, I don't see evidence of that now:  There is only one "Note"
in the "CRAN checks", and that would seem to be a problem more with that
platform than with the gdata package.  The problem that Brian Ripley
mentioned in his email about this 2020-09-11 may have been with
something else that gdata used that has since been fixed.

	  I would normally prefer to let the gdata maintainers continue to
maintain a function like this.  However, you seem to have a compelling
reason for copying that function and only citing the original for the
source of where you got the code.  You might include, e.g.,
\code{\link[gdata]{rename.vars}}.

	  CAVEAT:  Please ignore the above if contradicted by someone more
knowledgeable than I am about CRAN and R policies and recommendations.

	  Spencer