[R-pkg-devel] Accessing features in R4.0.

brodie gaslam brod|e@g@@|@m @end|ng |rom y@hoo@com
Wed Dec 16 17:39:20 CET 2020

I don't know if this will work in your case (or even if it is a good
or bad thing to do), but backports conditionally exports the function
in question, e.g.:

https://github.com/r-lib/backports/blob/master/R/lengths.R

So in that example their implementation of a function not available
in R < 3.2.0 is presumably only exported for those versions of R.
You could try something similar, although I make no guarantees
on whether this is considered proper or not.  It _seems_ like
a clean solution to me, but I have no experience putting any
logic in the namespace file.

WRE does show something very similar, so this might be okay:

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Registering-S3-methods

Best,

B.