[R-pkg-devel] Best practise in including third party code

Wolfgang Lenhard wo||g@ng@|enh@rd @end|ng |rom un|-wuerzburg@de
Wed Nov 18 11:44:49 CET 2020

Dear R developer list,
in general, if functionality from other packages are used in one's own
package, it is of course the best way to declare the other package as an
import. What is the straight forward way for only minor functions or
functionality, especially when the other package comes with a lot
dependencies itself? Is it advisable or ok to only use the according
third party source code snippet and cite the other package (of course if
the license of the package allows it; own package is AGPL, third package
is GPL)? Or should the third party package always be installed as a
dependency? I want to avoid bloating the installation process but it is
very important for me not to violate academic standards, intellectual
properties and best practise.

Thanks,
Wolfgang