[R-pkg-devel] Error in loadNamespace(x) : there is no package called 'formatR'

Wed Nov 18 09:51:44 CET 2020

    > On 13/11/2020 4:32 p.m., Gábor Csárdi wrote:
    >> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 9:02 PM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>> Things may have changed since Henrik and I wrote the code, but his
    >>> description matches my understanding as well (and I think he's
    >>> contributed more recently than I have).
    >>>
    >>> The way non-Sweave vignettes work is that some packages register
    >>> themselves to recognize vignette files in the vignettes directory.  The
    >>> default one recognizes .Rnw files as vignettes (and a few other
    >>> extensions too); the knitr::rmarkdown one recognizes .Rmd files and some
    >>> others.  The only way for a package's registration code to be called is
    >>> for it to be listed as a VignetteBuilder.  See ?tools::vignetteEngine
    >>> for details of the engine.
    >>
    >> Can one of you please fix WRE then? The part that says
    >>
    >> "...then knitr provides the engine but both knitr and rmarkdown are
    >> needed for using it, so both these packages need to be in the
    >> ‘VignetteBuilder’ field..."
    >>

    > No, neither of us are members of R Core.  Only R Core can edit the manuals.

    > Duncan Murdoch

I've (finaly) followed this thread to here  ((too many e-mails, too many ...)).

I think I have understood what you wrote and why R Core should
change WRE in this part.

Notably as I have not written it, there needs to be consultation
--> Forwarding to R-core  ((i.e., a very rare cross-post !))

Thank you, very much for the discussion, Gábor, Henrik and Duncan!
Martin

--
Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich  and  R Core team