[R-pkg-devel] Publishing Java Wrappers The Right Way

Peter Meissner retep@me|@@ner @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Nov 16 10:47:47 CET 2020

Hey Everyone,

I have an R-package that wraps some Java code.
The dependencies needed are around 10MB.

Thus I split the package into 2 packages. One providing only the
dependencies:

https://github.com/petermeissner/kafkaesquejars

... and one providing the actual code:

https://github.com/petermeissner/kafkaesque

I submitted the first package to CRAN and it came back stating that:
"Package has FOSS license, installs .class/.jar but has no 'java' directory.
"

Of course there is no java directory because the package does not contain
any code, just dependencies
and those are placed in ./inst/java.

Now what to do? In response I added  ./java/sources.md file and listed all
dependencies as well as URLs where
the source code of those dependencies can be downloaded.

Is this correct? Do I miss something else?

I really would appreciate some guidance on doing this right.

Best, Peter