[R-pkg-devel] Strange error from CRAN on package submission

Wed Nov 11 19:07:22 CET 2020

Okay, I've tried testing on my Mac with R 4.0.3 and R-devel for the new
one, 4.0.3 for the CRAN version.

I'm not seeing any check error with the CRAN version.  I get an error
trying to check 0.11.4 from R-forge because I don't have flexmix
installed.  If I take flexmix out of the Suggests list, it checks with
no error on 4.0.3, but I get the error you saw on R-devel when checked
with --as-cran.

I tried debugging this, and narrowed it down a bit.  It happens when
your package is installed, in particular in the do_install_source()
function in src/library/tools/R/install.R.  But that function runs a new
R instance, and I didn't get to debugging that.  I'll try again later
today if nobody else figures it out.

Duncan Murdoch

On 11/11/2020 12:03 p.m., Kevin R. Coombes wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> Oops; I didn't realize I had forgotten to push updates to the OOMPA web
> site.
>
> The code for Mercator is contained as part of the Thresher project in
> the subversion repository on R-Forge.
> (https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/thresher/) It's under
> pkg/Mercator below that URL
>
> Thanks,
>     Kevin
>
> On 11/11/2020 11:30 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> Uwe suggested you suggest flexmix, but I see below you already tried
>> that.
>>
>> I'd like to take a look, but I can't find your package.  The existing
>> version on CRAN gives the URL as http://oompa.r-forge.r-project.org/,
>> but I can't see it mentioned there.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>>
>> On 11/11/2020 8:44 a.m., Kevin R. Coombes wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to figure out how to fix warnings from two of the CRAN
>>> machines on the submission of an update to a package. The only change to
>>> my package was to add a "show" method to one of the S4 classes, which
>>> was requested by a reviewer of the paper we submitted. The inability to
>>> get this updated package into CRAN  is the only thing holding up the
>>> revision (and probable acceptance) of the manuscript.
>>>
>>> The same "warnings"s were found in the previous version. The package is
>>> called Mercator, and the CRAN check results from the  last version
>>> are here:
>>> https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_Mercator.html
>>>
>>> I get warnings from the two fedora machine instances (clang and gcc).
>>> They both report

>>>    >
>>>    > Check: data for non-ASCII characters
>>>
>>> The relationships in the DESCRIPTION files are:
>>>
>>> 1. Mercator depends on Thresher
>>> 2. Thresher imports moVMF