[R-pkg-devel] Licenses

Uwe Ligges ||gge@ @end|ng |rom @t@t|@t|k@tu-dortmund@de
Fri Oct 23 14:57:56 CEST 2020

I do not want to make many general comments about licenses in public, as
this is a very difficult matter and I am not a lawyer.

But let me cite from the CRAN policies:

"Packages with licenses not listed at
https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/share/licenses/license.db will
generally not be accepted. "

Further, I see in the discussions that you talked about depending on a
software with a non-FOSS license. The CRAN team's point of view, for
short, is:
A package with a FOSS license cannot strictly depend on a
package/software that is non-FOSS. Obviously, the FOSS package cannot be
used under its own license conditions in that case.

Best,
Uwe Ligges