[R-pkg-devel] Tracking down cause of UBSAN error

Fri Oct 16 04:07:42 CEST 2020

Hugh,

The different SAN/ASAB/UBSAN/... analysers depend critically on _exactly how_
the instrumentation is setup.  That make the whole setup analysis a little
brittle, and it is a real shame that neither CRAN nor some of the entities
supposedly here in order to support R users and developers have managed to
produced _standardized_ environments (using, say, Docker) to make this
genuinely reproducible. So we all waste time chasing things over and over.

Five or so years ago I wrote a first container for this; I believe the RHub
one is a descendant of it. But I found reproducing errors so tricky that I
set up an entire package just to provide 'true positives' for such tests of
the testing framework:   http://cloud.r-project.org/package=sanitizers
It helps validate that the setup (container, say) catches what it is supposed
to catch--as this is (too) easy to get wrong.

These days I think the contains within the (very well done and complete)
"collection" of containers maintained by Winston might be your best bet:
  https://github.com/wch/r-debug
This is what I used last time I needed something like it.

Hth, Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org