[R-pkg-devel] DOI for archived package?

Kevin R. Coombes kev|n@r@coombe@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 10 18:14:12 CEST 2020

Hi,

I am in the process of submitting a "workflow" article about an R
package (which is onCRAN) to F1000Research. The associate editor that I
am dealing with wants a "DOI" for the source code of the package being
described in the manuscript.  I have already explained that CRAN
archives all versions of packages, and I sent him the URL to the archive
page for the package, However, he still seems to believe that a DOI
needs to be assigned by some site like Zenodo.

I haven't yet responded by pointing out that CRAN has been archiving all
versions of packages since at least the year 2000, it has mirrors all
over the world, and the URL/URI used here is likely to be far more
permanent than the DOI from Zenodo. Nor have I pointed out that there
are more than 15,000 packages at CRAN, nor that not a single R user
would ever think to go look on Zenodo for an R package.

Does anyone have other suggestions for how to respond? (I know;  I could
just put the [expletive] thing into Zenodo and move on, but creating a
permanent identifier for something that will *never *be accessed just
seems stupid.)

Thanks,
   Kevin