[R-pkg-devel] R CMD check "unable to verify current time"

Thu Aug 27 20:17:17 CEST 2020

R tries to get the time from

http://worldtimeapi.org/api/timezone/UTC or
http://worldclockapi.com/api/json/utc/now

The first one doesn't accept UTC as a timezone; it appears to want
etc/UTC instead.  The second one is offline.

Duncan Murdoch

If both of those fail, you'll get the message you saw.