[R-pkg-devel] WARNING: A complete check needs the 'checkbashisms' script.

brian knaus br|@nk@||@t@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Aug 11 04:54:09 CEST 2020

Hi R-pkg-devel,

My package

https://github.com/knausb/vcfR

has been archived on CRAN because I was asked by CRAN to address issues
that I was unable to address before the deadline I was given. The issue I'm
struggling with is that when I use

```
R CMD check --as-cran vcfR_1.12.0.tar.gz
```

I get

```
* checking top-level files ... WARNING
A complete check needs the 'checkbashisms' script.
See section ‘Configure and cleanup’ in the ‘Writing R Extensions’
manual..
```
.

Dirk Eddelbeuttel has proposed a solution on SO. (Thank you again Dirk!)

```
https://stackoverflow.com/a/62721142
```

I've implemented this change, but I am concerned that it won't be accepted
by CRAN. My concern is that this works on my local machines (Ubuntu and
MacOS), where I can install checkbashisms, but I can't control whether
checkbashisms is installed on CRAN machines or on user machines. This means
it will generate a WARNING on machines where checkbashisms is not
installed. Most of me feels that I need to address this somehow. But I do
not know how. Part of me is wondering if I should expect users to manage
this. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Brian (knausb)