[R-pkg-devel] NOTE in r-devel-linux-x86_64-fedora-clang

Helmut Schütz he|mut@@chuetz @end|ng |rom beb@c@@t
Sat Aug 8 00:53:57 CEST 2020

Hi Duncan,

Duncan Murdoch wrote on 2020-08-07 21:55:
> On 07/08/2020 3:22 p.m., Helmut Schütz wrote:
>> I see. However, the HTML-source states
>> This manual is for R, version 4.1.0 Under development (2020-08-06).
>>
>> I was relying on the PDF-version (4.0.2 of 2020-06-22) which does *not*
>> contain this sentence. Hence, I fell into the trap. Should be stated in
>> the PDF as well, IMHO.
>
> Oh, c'mon.  It will be a new requirement in R 4.1.0  It's not a
> requirement in 4.0.2, and you didn't get a NOTE about it there, you
> only got the note in one of the r-devel platforms.

Yep, but why are the others not configured in the same way (with setenv
_R_CHECK_SUGGESTS_ONLY_ false)? Doesn't sound consistent to me.

> The general way things work in R is that changes get announced well in
> advance of release *by putting them in R-devel*.  That's why you're
> asked to check your package against R-devel before submitting:  so
> that it meets upcoming announced changes to requirements as well as
> ones that are in the current release.

Of course, we checked the package on winbuilder... Are you suggesting to
set up a multi-boot system for all those OSs? Even if one -- not us --
would aim at that: Where to get Solaris v10? Buy a Mac to run checks on
maxOS?

At least I understand now the differences between
r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-gcc and r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-gcc
(given in the last line there:
https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/Rconfig/r-devel-linux-x86_64-fedora-gcc).

Helmut

--