[R-pkg-devel] NOTE in r-devel-linux-x86_64-fedora-clang

Fri Aug 7 21:55:40 CEST 2020

On 07/08/2020 3:22 p.m., Helmut Schütz wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> Duncan Murdoch wrote on 2020-08-07 18:39:
>> You're reading the wrong version of the manual.  This is in the
>> R-devel manual:
>>
>> "Packages referred to by these ‘other forms’ should be declared in the
>> DESCRIPTION file, in the ‘Depends’, ‘Imports’, ‘Suggests’ or
>> ‘Enhances’ fields. "
>>
>> This is at the end of section 2.5 in
>> https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/R-exts.html.
>
> I see. However, the HTML-source states
> This manual is for R, version 4.1.0 Under development (2020-08-06).
>
> I was relying on the PDF-version (4.0.2 of 2020-06-22) which does *not*
> contain this sentence. Hence, I fell into the trap. Should be stated in
> the PDF as well, IMHO.

Oh, c'mon.  It will be a new requirement in R 4.1.0  It's not a
requirement in 4.0.2, and you didn't get a NOTE about it there, you only
got the note in one of the r-devel platforms.

The general way things work in R is that changes get announced well in
advance of release *by putting them in R-devel*.  That's why you're
asked to check your package against R-devel before submitting:  so that
it meets upcoming announced changes to requirements as well as ones that
are in the current release.