[R-pkg-devel] Error in CHECK caused by dev.off()

Helmut Schütz he|mut@@chuetz @end|ng |rom beb@c@@t
Thu Jul 23 23:11:29 CEST 2020

Hi Dirk,

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote on 2020-07-23 15:16:
> Helmut,
>
> For previous uploads you affirmed that you read the CRAN Repository Policy
> which states
>
>       [...]
>
> Your package appears to violate that requirement.

As I wrote previously the statement continues with
"Limited exceptions may be allowed in interactive sessions if the
package obtains confirmation from the user."

I'm not a native speaker of English but for me "should not write" !=
"must not write".

>   I would fix the package.

I removed the automatic switch to "~/" if no path is given. As before I
recommend in the man-pages to give the full path. However, I _still_
state that "~/" _can_ be used for convenience.
The package is used in a regulated environment. The output file contains
an entire audit-trail (name of the user and system, version and date of
the OS, R, all packages, functions used, time of execution, blablah). If
the package would write to tempdir() I would have to add a warning in
bold font of every man-page like "Execute the command tempdir() to find
out where your result files reside. Copy the files to a safe location
before you quit the R-session. If you fail to do so, your results will
be lost."

Off topic: I don't like it that on Windows tempdir is located at
"C:/Users/{Username}/AppData/Local/Temp/Rtmp..." I strictly separate my
OSes (on C), software (on D), data (on E), backups (on F). Writing to
the system disk is not what I prefer. However, in my installation "~/"
resolves to "E:/Users/{Username}/Documents/"...

--
Ing. Helmut Schütz
BEBAC – Consultancy Services for