[R-pkg-devel] "non-ASCII input" and "--data-compress" ignored

Ivan Krylov kry|ov@r00t @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jul 20 16:53:13 CEST 2020

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 18:08:24 -0500
Spencer Graves <spencer.graves using effectivedefense.org> wrote:

>        I tried escaping "%" every time it occurred without success,
> but adding "\encoding{UTF-8}" as the 4th line of
> nuclearWeaponStates.Rd eliminated that problem.

Glad it works for you, but you might want to check that the link still
leads to the correct URL in the PDF output. In particular, the
following .Rd file:

\href{https://www.americansecurityproject.org/ASP Reports/Ref 0072 -
North Korea’s Nuclear Program .pdf}{Derek Bolton (2012) North Korea's
Nuclear Program}

Bolton (2012) North Korea's Nuclear Program}

...gives two working links when processed with R CMD Rdconv -t html,
but when I process it using R CMD Rd2pdf, the first link gets a
\T1\textquoteright instead of ’ in its URL, which makes it invalid. This
could be a LaTeX problem on my part, of course.

> I also tried loading and resaving all the files in the data
> directory.

You can also try using tools::resaveRdaFiles with various parameters if
you are interested.

> at least the first of the resulting *.rda files was corrupted

This sounds like trying to load a version-3 *.rda file (implemented in
3.5.0, default since 3.6.0) using an older version of R. Or a possible
indicator of a hardware problem.

Best regards,

More information about the R-package-devel mailing list