[R-pkg-devel] check cross-references error: Non-file package-anchored link(s)

Thu Jul 2 19:12:31 CEST 2020

On 02/07/2020 10:41 a.m., Dr. Jens Oehlschlägel wrote:
> Thank you for the advice Duncan,
>
> But let's not get carried away here: we are talking about a *warning* that only arises if two packages are checked together that are never meant to be installed together.
> The new packages contain weeks of improvement-work, and I am not going to add back-and-forth-trick-work just to circumvent some warnings that arise only at the point of switching from old to new.

That's a choice, but your package might face auto-rejection on CRAN.
Asking CRAN to handle your update manually means extra work for them; if
there's a simple way to handle it without that (and I've given you two
to choose from), it seems kind of selfish not to use it.

BTW, assuming you got the two packages on CRAN, it wouldn't be hard for
a user to install the new bit without updating ff:  just have both
installed before your update, then ask to update bit.  Since it doesn't
depend on ff, it won't trigger an ff update.  You can't expect R to know
they were never meant to be installed together unless you record that
fact in the dependencies in the DESCRIPTION file.

Duncan Murdoch