[R-pkg-devel] [R] a question of etiquette

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jun 2 15:17:43 CEST 2020

To present a contrary view...

To me the commentary so far doesn't seem right -- if I were writing an academic paper (I personally think this is a good analogy for many R packages) and elaborating on the ideas of someone else, I would cite their work but I would not add them as an author to my paper. I would not expect the authors of cited work to agree with or take responsibility for my work, which is what authorship (in the publication domain) implies. In the current case there is no reason to think that the author of matlab code would be informed about or willing to vouch for the R implementation. Minimally, in an academic setting I would (be required to) ask whether the individual wished to be an author.

Conversely, if an author were to have made a substantive contribution to my package, and objected to the content of the package with their name on it, I would feel obliged to respect their wishes and, e.g., withdraw or, if permitted by licensing, revise or re-publish the paper / package without the author. This makes me think carefully about who actually contributed to the package, rather than merely whose prior work my package builds upon.

Of course it is necessary to obey licensing terms of the prior work, and important to acknowledge, above and beyond the specific licensing terms, the contributions individuals make.

Martin Morgan