[R-pkg-devel] Installed package size

Carsten Croonenbroeck c@r@ten@croonenbroeck @end|ng |rom un|-ro@tock@de
Thu Mar 12 16:16:13 CET 2020

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask what's the maximum for installed package size. The thing is, I would like to publish a package that contains, sure, a set of functions, but also a very nice data set concerning meteorological data. That data set is required for wind farm layout optimization, a topic the entire package deals with.

Now, if I have RStudio check my package, it reports correctly that the package size is 65.9 MB (which is the size of the tarball), but the uncompressed size is 118.8 MB (which is also correct as is roughly matches the size of the .RData file). The package uses lazyload. Using the RStudio check mechanism, I get zero errors, zero warnings and one note, namely the one concerning installed package size. If I use devtools::check(); I even get a warning at "checking data for ASCII and uncompressed saves", reporting the same (correct) sizes.

I would like to know what's the maximum size and if there's a way around that limit. I also think to remember that I've downloaded other rather large packages from CRAN before. Unfortunately, I can't remember right now which packages that were... :-/

Best regards and thanks in advance

Carsten