[R-pkg-devel] Internet security software?

Joris Meys Jor|@@Mey@ @end|ng |rom UGent@be
Tue Feb 25 10:16:14 CET 2020

Hi Spencer,

I've abandoned Bitdefender for the reason you give: it gave me too much trouble with false positives and seemingly random blocking of all kinds of tools at one point. But the reason is not Bitdefender in itself. It worked perfectly fine until the updates came for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. Somehow these patches messed with the workings of Bitdefender, leading to the problems you describe. As Windows 7 is no longer maintained, these problems won't be solved.

So first of all, you should abandon Windows 7. Even if it would work fine, it's a huge security risk. No point in having an antivirus if you run an OS that's no longer maintained. Either move to Windows 10 or change for a Linux distro (Ubuntu is imho the one Windows users find most easy to adapt to. Your mileage may vary).

As for antivirus, I'm now using Kaspersky and am liking it so far (2 years now). I find it less intrusive than Bitdefender as well, even though I had no complaints in the past.

Kind regards
Joris

--
Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)