[R-pkg-devel] Internet security software?

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Mon Feb 24 23:18:40 CET 2020

> On Feb 24, 2020, at 4:49 PM, Spencer Graves <spencer.graves using effectivedefense.org> wrote:
>
> Hello, All:
>

>       What antivirus / internet security software do you use and recommend?
>

>       I've used Bitdefender for years.  However, I've been encountering an increasing number of problems with software I've used for years.  Some of my problems disappear when I turn off parts of Bitdefender.  However, I've been unable to use RStudio on my Windows 7 computer since early last November.  Also, when I turn off certain features of Bitdefender, "R CMD build sos" (with sos cloned from "https://github.com/sbgraves237/sos") completes in a few minutes.  With Bitdefender configured normally, "R CMD build sos" stops without warning on "* creating vignettes".  I've left it for days like that without it moving beyond that point.  No error message but also no progress.
>

>       Rather than doing a web search for alternative internet security software, I thought I'd ask you all:  If some of you have had similar problems with other antivirus / internet security software, I think I'd be more likely to hear it from you than from a web search.  Some of my problems may not be due to Bitdefender, but I know that some are, and Bitdefender tech support answers the phone but fails to fix these problems.
>

>       Thanks,
>       Spencer Graves

Spencer,

FWIW, I also use BitDefender on macOS, and have for a number of years, even though macOS has built-in features. I selected BitDefender because of minimal system overhead and high detection ratings.

I also use Malwarebytes for periodic scans as a second tier.

The key and really only issue that I have had with BitDefender is the Safe Files feature, which has a tendency to lock down folder trees, and which can be very nuanced in terms of the day to day operational impact.

Under the premise of "The missing shall not be compromised due to security", a paradigm that I learned back in the 90s in an apropos setting, I long ago disabled the Safe Files feature in BitDefender, and have not had an issue since.

I am going to presume that the behavior on Windows is going to be similar. So if disabling the Safe Files feature, presuming that you have it enabled, is an option that you can consider, I would try that approach initially.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz