[R-pkg-devel] How to specify minimum compiler version in DESCRIPTION

Joseph Wood jwood000 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Feb 20 03:59:44 CET 2020

Hello,

As the subject says, what is the best way to specify a minimum
compiler version in the DESCRIPTION file.

I only found 2 packages on CRAN that have a minimum requirement for
GCC, however they both seem to be divergent in style. I could not find
anything definitive in Writing R Extensions.

I don't want to imply that one absolutely needs a specific compiler
(i.e. if you are using Mac clang is used so I wouldn't expect Mac user
to jump through a bunch of hoops to use a specific gcc compiler), I
just want to give users of differing systems something informative to
help them out.

There is more information here: https://github.com/jwood000/RcppAlgos/issues/13

Thanks,
Joseph Wood