[R-pkg-devel] R CMD build hanging for some but not all packages

Rainer M Krug R@|ner @end|ng |rom krug@@de
Tue Feb 11 09:47:01 CET 2020

> On 11 Feb 2020, at 09:42, Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 8:38 AM Rainer M Krug <Rainer using krugs.de <mailto:Rainer using krugs.de>> wrote:
>>

>> On 10 Feb 2020, at 17:58, Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe you have large, ignored files in the package directory? R first
>> creates a copy of the whole directory and only applies `.Rbuildignore`
>> after that.
>>
>> THANKS - you solved my question without me having to answer it. As I am using a makefile to build the package, I can easily rename the ignored directories before calling build.
>>
>> But the question is why are these ignored directories scanned before building the package? They should be ignored anyway?
>>
>> Rainer
>
> A makefile is a good idea, but I would rather move the files that are
> needed to a temporary directory, instead of temporarily renaming
> unneeded files, because if the makefile fails, then you won't restore
> them and your project will be in a broken state.

You are right. Having two targets (prepare build, finalise build) which move the files and put them back afterwards would be the best option (and make the build call both).

Is there a way to have an .onExit() type function in a makefile?

Rainer

> Gabor
>
> [...]

Orcid ID: 0000-0002-7490-0066

Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies
University of Zürich
Office Y34-J-74
Winterthurerstrasse 190
8075 Zürich