[R-pkg-devel] R CMD build hanging for some but not all packages

Gábor Csárdi c@@rd|@g@bor @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Feb 11 09:42:54 CET 2020

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 8:38 AM Rainer M Krug <Rainer using krugs.de> wrote:

> On 10 Feb 2020, at 17:58, Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe you have large, ignored files in the package directory? R first
> creates a copy of the whole directory and only applies `.Rbuildignore`
> after that.
>
> THANKS - you solved my question without me having to answer it. As I am using a makefile to build the package, I can easily rename the ignored directories before calling build.
>
> But the question is why are these ignored directories scanned before building the package? They should be ignored anyway?
>
> Rainer

A makefile is a good idea, but I would rather move the files that are
needed to a temporary directory, instead of temporarily renaming
unneeded files, because if the makefile fails, then you won't restore
them and your project will be in a broken state.

Gabor

[...]