[R-pkg-devel] R CMD build hanging for some but not all packages

Hong Ooi hongoo| @end|ng |rom m|cro@o|t@com
Mon Feb 10 17:50:07 CET 2020

This is with R 3.6.2 on Windows 10 Pro 1909.

In the last couple of weeks, devtools::build() and devtools::check() have started hanging on some, but not all, of my packages. After some poking around, I discovered that it's actually R CMD build that is having problems, right after the "checking for file 'DESCRIPTION'" step.

A reproducible example can be found by cloning my AzureStor package: https://github.com/Azure/AzureStor If you run "R CMD build ." in the package directory, it should hang. This is a relatively simple package that doesn't require compilation, although it does import some commonly-used packages like httr, curl, jsonlite and xml2.

As far as I can tell, R on Ubuntu works fine. What's going on?