[R-pkg-devel] function name conflict problem

sierr@stew m@iii@g oii mi@dspri@g@com sierr@stew m@iii@g oii mi@dspri@g@com
Tue Feb 4 22:21:43 CET 2020

In trying to develop a package to be submitted to CRAN, when I do Install
and Reload or devtools::check(), I get the warning:

Warning: replacing previous import 'ellipse::pairs' by 'graphics::pairs'
when loading 'karon'

Warning: replacing previous import 'MVN::mvn' by 'mgcv::mvn' when loading
'karon'

I need one function each from the packages ellipse and mgcv (I do not need
pairs from ellipse and mvn from mgcv).  To restrict to the function that I
need, I have used the commands

@importFrom  ellipse  ellipse

@importFrom  mgcv  in.out

NAMESPACE includes the lines

importFrom(ellipse,ellipse)

importFrom(mgcv,in.out)

However, DESCRIPTION does not restrict the functions imported from ellipse
and mgcv; it has

Imports: MVN, MASS, scatterplot3d, rgl, mgcv, randomForest, rpart, partykit,
Formula, ellipse,..

Do these warnings need to be solved before submitting to CRAN?

Is it necessary to edit DESCRIPTION  If so, what should be done?

Is there some other potential solution?

Thanks!