[R-pkg-devel] Fix non-ASCII characters in R packages

Rafael Pereira r@|@@pere|r@@br @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Dec 2 14:57:51 CET 2019

Hi all,

I am trying to update my R package on CRAN but I am being requested to fix
this NOTE:

checking data for non-ASCII characters ... NOTE Note: found 58 marked
Latin-1 strings

I have used to code below to identify my scripts that have strings using
non-ASCII characters. The problem is that in most cases these non-ASCII
characters are used in the documentation of functions, so I cannot simply
convert their encoding using iconv() for example

# Find scripts using non-ASCII characters
  f <- list.files(pattern = "*.R", recursive = T)
  r <- lapply(f, tools::showNonASCIIfile)

I've tried (1) reopening and (2) resaving those scripts with UTF-8
encoding, (3) setting UTF-8 as the default encoding of the project, but
nothing seems to fix this issue. Any suggestions?

obs. I've posted this question on SO
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59139923/fix-non-ascii-characters-in-r-packages

best,

Rafael Pereira