[R-pkg-devel] how to change from -fsanitize=undefined to -fsanitize=address

Fri Nov 29 19:46:32 CET 2019

Youyi,

It looks like you are trying to debug a _current_ SAN / ASAN / UBSAN error
against your package by leaning on documentation I wrote five years ago
specifically for another package (called "sanitizers") used to validate the
initial Docker container builds I made (and to ensure the error these
SAN/ASAN/UBSAN containers were supposed to trigger were triggered).

Today, your quickest bet to launch a sanitizer run may be via the rhub
platforms.  Clearly the easiest to launch ("no download"), but at times a
little inconsistent.  An alternative is the suite of containers maintained by
Winston described at their repo at https://github.com/wch/r-debug at
available from the Docker Hub.

All that said, exact configurations matters and the fact remains that we all
still haven't managed to automatically provide the configurations used by
CRAN. There are possible "gaps" between what CRAN uses and what may be
available pre-built: compiler versions, builds, sanitizer options, ... and
these can be enough to not replicate an issue.  I think I would try Winston's
r-debug next.

Hope this helps, Dirk