[R-pkg-devel] two functions with the same name when importing

Thu Nov 7 02:30:45 CET 2019

On 06/11/2019 6:50 p.m., Bernd.Gruber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem regarding the name of two functions and I know the "correct" way is to use importFrom to make sure only specified functions are imported. But my problem is that my package really depends on another package
> adegenet as I basically use 90% of the say >100 functions.
>
> So when I import all of adegenet I get:
>
> 2: replacing previous import 'adegenet::plot' by 'graphics::plot' when loading 'dartR'
>

> So in essence I think adegenet is importing a plot function which collides with the basic plot function. Is there anything I can do, without going through 100 functions and using importFrom
>
> In addition I actually need the plot function from adegenet, so I would need to rename it as well somehow.
>
> Any hint how to solve this would be highly appreciated.

Just get a copy of the adegenet NAMESPACE file to get all of its
exports.  Edit the list down to the ones you use, and use a text editor
to change the export directives to importFrom directives.  It's not
really that hard.

The path to the NAMESPACE file is given by

system.file("NAMESPACE", package="adegenet")