[R-pkg-devel] Trouble building vignettes with R-devel, can't replicate locally

Paul Johnson p@u|john32 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Oct 30 17:23:41 CET 2019

Greetings

I just tried to upload a new version of stationery, my collection of Sweave
and markdown templates.  CRAN fails to build vignettes, almost certainly a
problem in Pandoc (what version is CRAN using?). My experience with
markdown in general is that if you don't like the format they provide "out
of the box", you are in a pretty bad situation.  This is just more of the
same.

I succeed rebuilding my package with R-devel on Ubuntu Linux.

$ R --version
R Under development
  (unstable) (2019-10-26 r77334) -- "Unsuffered
  Consequences"
I see same success with any
  pandoc:

$ pandoc --version
pandoc 2.2.3.2

or

$ pandoc --version
pandoc 2.7.3
Compiled
  with pandoc-types 1.17.5.4, texmath 0.11.2.2,
  skylighting 0.8.1

However, on the systems used by CRAN, they see get errors that have no
error messages, no diagnostic information.

Last summer, Prof. Ripley notified me there was trouble upstream with
Pandoc and I thought I had that figured out, I'm unable to reproduce same
old problem about unrecognized UTF-8 character now.  Old problem was
summarized here

https://stackoverflow.com/q/54792233/1086346

The current version of Pandoc and markdown on the CRAN server does not give
same UTF warning.

Would one of you that has access to that system be willing to send me the
actual error output and latex log files so I can see what is wrong?  Can I
see output from "sessionInfo()" on the CRAN build system?

Or would somebody try to build this package and if it produces an error,
send me the logs and or working directory:

http://pj.freefaculty.org/scraps/stationery_0.98.21.tar.gz

In the CRAN build log, there's no helpful guidance

* checking re-building of vignette outputs ... [17s/18s] WARNING

Error(s) in re-building vignettes:
--- re-building ‘HTML_special_features.Rmd’ using rmarkdown
--- finished re-building ‘HTML_special_features.Rmd’

--- re-building ‘Rmarkdown.Rmd’ using rmarkdown
Error: processing vignette 'Rmarkdown.Rmd' failed with diagnostics:
Failed to compile Rmarkdown.tex. See
https://yihui.name/tinytex/r/#debugging for debugging tips.
--- failed re-building ‘Rmarkdown.Rmd’

--- re-building ‘code_chunks.Rmd’ using rmarkdown
Error: processing vignette 'code_chunks.Rmd' failed with diagnostics:
Failed to compile code_chunks.tex. See
https://yihui.name/tinytex/r/#debugging for debugging tips.
--- failed re-building ‘code_chunks.Rmd’

--- re-building ‘stationery.Rnw’ using Sweave
Error: processing vignette 'stationery.Rnw' failed with diagnostics:
Failed to locate the ‘texi2pdf’ output file (by engine
‘utils::Sweave’) for vignette with name ‘stationery’. The following
files exist in directory ‘.’: ‘HTML_special_features.R’,
‘HTML_special_features.Rmd’, ‘HTML_special_features.html’,
‘Rmarkdown.R’, ‘Rmarkdown.Rmd’, ‘Rmarkdown.log’, ‘Rmarkdown.tex’,
‘Rplots.pdf’, ‘code_chunks.R’, ‘code_chunks.Rmd’, ‘code_chunks.log’,
‘code_chunks.tex’, ‘compiler.sh’, ‘listings.sty’, ‘rmd2html.sh’,
‘rnw2pdf.sh’, ‘stationery.Rnw’, ‘stationery.Rout’, ‘stationery.log’,
‘stationery.lyx’, ‘stationery.tex’, ‘subfig.sty’
--- failed re-building ‘stationery.Rnw’

SUMMARY: processing the following files failed:
  ‘Rmarkdown.Rmd’ ‘code_chunks.Rmd’ ‘stationery.Rnw’

Error: Vignette re-building failed.
Execution halted

--
Paul E. Johnson   http://pj.freefaculty.org