[R-pkg-devel] cargo not installed on Windows auto-check server

Tue Oct 22 17:13:11 CEST 2019

Hi Antoine,

On 22 October 2019 at 16:40, Pelletier Antoine wrote:
| I am triying to upload to CRAN a package which relies on a Rust library.
| Rust compiler rustc and Rust package manager cargo are system requirements
| to the package. Source code of the package is available at
| https://gitlab.irstea.fr/HYCAR-Hydro/baseflow
|
| The CRAN auto-check gave no error on Debian, but cargo and rustc seem not
| to be installed on the Windows check server. This is the install.out file:
[...]
| What should I do? Is it possible to upload a partially-compiled package
| (providing only DLL for instance) for Windows?

That has been done before---see David Dahl's salso package (here mirrored at
GH for easy viewing):

  https://github.com/cran/salso

and specifically to the pivot on Windows to pull in a prebuilt library:

  https://github.com/cran/salso/blob/master/src/Makevars.win

Longer term "we all" have to come up with a better solution but for now this
approach appears to be tolerated (and I do something similar with downloads
at CRAN-build-time in at least two packages).

Dirk