[R-pkg-devel] R package which creates a directory in the user home dir

Sigbert Klinke @|gbert @end|ng |rom w|w|@hu-ber||n@de
Thu Oct 17 14:29:54 CEST 2019

Hi,

I'am developing a package that circumvents the R package size limitation
for data sets. For this I store the data set in the internet (currently
GitHub) and download if it is requested.

To avoid unnecessary downloads and internet connections I create a
directory in the users home directory to store the data there. However,
this violates the "CRAN Repository Policy" which says

- Packages should not write in the user’s home filespace (including
clipboards), nor anywhere else on the file system apart from the R
session’s temporary directory (or during installation in the location
pointed to by TMPDIR: and such usage should be cleaned up).

Do I have any chance to get the package to CRAN, if I submit it?

Best Sigbert

--
https://hu.berlin/sk
https://hu.berlin/mmstat3