[R-pkg-devel] Appropriate usage of 'Suggests' -- package installed conditional on other software not found

Driver, Charles dr|ver @end|ng |rom mp|b-ber||n@mpg@de
Thu Oct 3 12:10:57 CEST 2019

I have a function that outputs / compiles some latex. To do this I use Sys.which('pdflatex') and if nothing is found, prompt the user whether to install tinytex package. So, normally I understand the use of 'Suggests' in the package description to be for when there are only certain functions / tests that require the package. In this case, the package requirement is also conditional on other software (ie a tex distribution) not being found, otherwise it is unnecessary. There are no tests or examples that depend on the package. Should tinytex be in the 'Suggests' list?

Cheers,

Charles