[R-pkg-devel] Require <package>-package.Rd?

Tue Sep 24 14:16:26 CEST 2019

Hi All,

When starting to work with an unfamiliar package, one might typically look for vignettes, a paper/book accompanying the package, a package website, and of course the help files themselves, but

help(package="<package>")

is often not so useful -- such a listing of functions (with titles) might not clarify what the main 'workhorses' of the package are and how to get started. Personally, the first thing I do is try:

help(<package>)

in the hopes that the package author(s) have created a <package>-package.Rd file to get new users started (or to point them to appropriate places to get going). In my experience, if such a package help file is available, it is tremendously useful.

Unfortunately, many packages do not provide a <package>-package.Rd file. I am curious how others and CRAN members would feel about making this a requirement (not retrospectively, but at least for new / resubmissions).

Best,
Wolfgang