[R-pkg-devel] GSL update on CRAN

Ege Rubak rub@k @end|ng |rom m@th@@@u@dk
Fri Sep 13 13:54:00 CEST 2019

Hi,

It may be a big task to ship all of GSL with your R package, and since
it is a large standard library which is "easy" to install on most
systems, I doubt that it's worth the effort. I would recommend putting
`GSL (>=2.3)` in `SystemRequirements` in your DESCRIPTION file.

As you point out, this requires that the CRAN team can find the time to
update GSL on their machines. Uwe often sees things on this list, so you
may be lucky that he replies directly when he has time (the CRAN people
tend to have busy day jobs also).

If you don't hear anything on this list in the near future you could
also try to submit your package to CRAN with the message that you are
aware that it fails on their Windows machines due to an old version of
GSL which you would like to be updated if possible. If done in a
respectful manner I think this should be OK and not wasting their time,
but others on this list may have better suggestions of how to approach
this issue.

Best wishes,
Ege