[R-pkg-devel] Problems installing dependences of my package

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Mon Sep 9 19:24:42 CEST 2019

Dear Andrea

Comments in-line

On 09/09/2019 15:47, Andrea Vilar Alvarez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am writting because I am doing a package in R and I have some problems installing dependences which appear at DESCRIPTION file.
>
> First of all, I am not sure about the difference between Depends and Imports, but I only use Depends.
> My problem is that my package is going to be used at different computers and for different persons so I want that when other person use my package, it can be able to check  if the necesary packages are installed and if they are not installed, the package must be able to install  them.

If I understand you correctly that is what install.packages() does for
your users.

> I supposed that this problem was solved including the necesary packages and their versions at �Depends�. And now, I have another problem because the versions are usually indicated using �>=�, for example: forecast (>=8.7) but I need to use exactly the versi�n 8.7 because sometimes when packages are updated, they lost some functions. But if I use <= or == and the package is update to versi�n 8.8, my package installation fail.

As I read the manual. you can specify both and upper and lower bound. It
is at the bottom of page 9 in the pdf I am reading.

> How can I solve this? If I use R normaly (outside my package), I can install older versions of other packages using devtools::install_version() so why when I indicate  forecast (<=8.7) at Depends on the DESCRIPTION file, R is not able to install an older version if a new one is avaliable?
>
> Thanks in advance for your attention.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Andrea.
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Please do not do that as it mangles your post. Please set your mailer o
post in plain text not HTML

> ---
> https://www.avg.com

Michael