[R-pkg-devel] R, BLAS, and FCLEN

Göran Broström gor@n@bro@trom @end|ng |rom umu@@e
Sun Sep 1 21:46:04 CEST 2019

On 2019-08-31 18:47, Göran Broström wrote:
> I'm having difficulties updating my package eha: When I run standard
> checks 'at home' everything is fine, but 'CRAN-submissions' reports
> (among other things):
>
> geomsup.f:324:9: warning: type of ‘dgemv’ does not match original
> declaration [-Wlto-type-mismatch]
>    324 |      &     one, score, ione)
>        |         ^
> /home/tmp/R-d-gcc-LTO/include/R_ext/BLAS.h:107:1: note: type mismatch in
> parameter 12
>    107 | F77_NAME(dgemv)(const char *trans, const int *m, const int *n,
>        | ^
>
> This is odd since the LAPACK subroutine dgemv takes only 11 parameters.
> However, in include/R_ext/BLAS.h we have
>
> F77_NAME(dgemv)(const char *trans, const int *m, const int *n,
>          const double *alpha, const double *a, const int *lda,
>          const double *x, const int *incx, const double *beta,
>          double *y, const int *incy FCLEN);
>
> with a 12th parameter FCLEN?? How am I supposed to fix this, and what
> the ... is FCLEN? googling leads to nothing useful (for me). It seems as
> if R is redefining some standard LAPACK routines.
>
> Also a note I do not understand (in this context):
>
> note: type ‘void’ should match type ‘long int’
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Best, Göran
>
> PS. How can I trigger these Warnings 'at home'?

See https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/LTO/README.txt (thanks to Uwe
Ligges).

Another relevant document seems to be (2019-05-15):

https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2019/05/15/gfortran-issues-with-lapack/index.html

First sentence:
"Recent version of the GNU Fortran compiler (7, 8, 9) include
optimizations that break interoperability between C and Fortran code
with BLAS/LAPACK."

And later:
"For the time being, everyone should use -fno-optimize-sibling-calls
with GFortran version 7 and newer."

G,