[R-pkg-devel] R, BLAS, and FCLEN

Göran Broström gor@n@bro@trom @end|ng |rom umu@@e
Sat Aug 31 18:47:16 CEST 2019

I'm having difficulties updating my package eha: When I run standard
checks 'at home' everything is fine, but 'CRAN-submissions' reports
(among other things):

geomsup.f:324:9: warning: type of ‘dgemv’ does not match original
declaration [-Wlto-type-mismatch]
   324 |      &     one, score, ione)
       |         ^
/home/tmp/R-d-gcc-LTO/include/R_ext/BLAS.h:107:1: note: type mismatch in
parameter 12
   107 | F77_NAME(dgemv)(const char *trans, const int *m, const int *n,
       | ^

This is odd since the LAPACK subroutine dgemv takes only 11 parameters.
However, in include/R_ext/BLAS.h we have

F77_NAME(dgemv)(const char *trans, const int *m, const int *n,
		const double *alpha, const double *a, const int *lda,
		const double *x, const int *incx, const double *beta,
		double *y, const int *incy FCLEN);

with a 12th parameter FCLEN?? How am I supposed to fix this, and what
the ... is FCLEN? googling leads to nothing useful (for me). It seems as
if R is redefining some standard LAPACK routines.

Also a note I do not understand (in this context):

note: type ‘void’ should match type ‘long int’

Any help is much appreciated.

Best, Göran

PS. How can I trigger these Warnings 'at home'?