[R-pkg-devel] help understanding two NOTES during the automatic package checking

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Tue Aug 6 14:52:56 CEST 2019

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 14:40, Andy Stein <andy.stein using gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am submitting my first ever R package to CRAN!  It's almost ready, but I
> have two notes below and I do not understand the best way to fix them and I
> was looking to get some feedback if anyone had time to help.  I paste the
> notes at the end of this email.
>
>    1. The first note seems to be some problem with the description file.
>    But I can't understand from the note what the problem even is, can you
> help
>    me?

The MIT license file should contain only the following:

YEAR: <the year(s)>
COPYRIGHT HOLDER: <name(s) of the authors>

as specified in https://www.r-project.org/Licenses/MIT.

>    2. The second note at the end is about the existence of some files.
>    These files are all created by the example code in the documentation.  I
>    suppose I could just mark all these examples as "do not run" and this
> will
>    fix the note, but from a code development perspective, I thought it would
>    be preferable to run these examples during package building as an
>    additional test of the package.  Is there any other solution that is
>    preferred?

Your code is allowed to write files automatically only in the
temporary directory associated with the R session. To fix this, create
temporary files on top of your examples using tempfile() and write
there instead.

Iñaki