[R-pkg-devel] Needing rgeos from sf

Thu Jul 25 21:38:31 CEST 2019

On 25/07/2019 3:21 p.m., Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via
R-package-devel wrote:
> I have been testing a package for resubmission with bug fixes.  On the present CRAN builds I get:
>
>> Result: NOTE
>>      Namespaces in Imports field not imported from:
>>       ‘mapdata’ ‘maptools’ ‘plot3D’ ‘rgdal’ ‘rgeos’
>>       All declared Imports should be used.
>
> However,  if I remove rgeos from the imports I get from win builder:
>
>> Error in st_as_sfc.SpatialPolygons(sp::geometry(x), ...) :
>>       package rgeos required for finding out which hole belongs to which exterior ring
>
> Note that I am not calling 'rgeos',  either 'sf' or 'sp' is,  but does not appear to be properly importing all the need namespaces.
>
> Best way  to proceed?  Include rgeos in Import and get the Note,  or ????

A simple workaround would be to add a function that calls something from
rgeos just to satisfy the check, e.g.

# Just to satisfy the checks...
dummy <- function() rgeos::getScale()

I don't think there are warnings if dummy is never used or exported, but
if there are, I think that's a pretty harmless call to make.