[R-pkg-devel] Warning: replacing previous import ...

Christian Martin Hennig chr|@t|@n@henn|g @end|ng |rom un|bo@|t
Fri Jun 28 13:10:01 CEST 2019

Dear list,

I'm maintainer of the fpc package and got an email that I need to
replace a warning that has come up. The warning is:

"Warning: replacing previous import ‘mclust::dmvnorm’ by
‘mvtnorm::dmvnorm’ when loading ‘fpc’"

Back story: A few month ago I was contacted by the maintainer of mclust
that they now incorporate their own dmvnorm function. As dmvnorm is used
in my package, he suggested to replace all dmvnorm by mvtnorm::dmvnorm,
which I did. Initially this was accepted without warning by CRAN.

I don't really understand what I should do about the warning. Isn't
mvtnorm::dmvnorm the way to do this, if I want to go on using mvtnorm's
dmvnorm function? All "dmvnorm" occurrences in my package are now
mvtnorm::dmvnorm as intended and requested. Both mclust and mvtnorm are
imported. The only (probably somewhat stupid) idea I have is to list the
import of  mvtnorm before mclust in NAMESPACE (currently mclust is
imported forst), but this seems silly to me - what if I wanted to use
both mvtnorm::dmvnorm and mclust::dmvnorm?

Any hint?

Thanks,

Christian

--
Christian Hennig
Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche "Paolo Fortunati",